Custom Search

7.06.2010

Sew Easy!

I recently took up sewing.  There are so many things I want to make that would only be possible once that skill were accquired!  So far, I've only completed two (literally) small projects and they were really just for practice.  My first project ended up being a lot more difficult than I had anticipated but, this second project was just as easy as it looked in my head!

A friend of mine just had a baby girl at the beginning of last month so I made her (the baby) a dress!

I found the fabric at Wal*Mart a little while ago for $1.00 a yard!!  The fabric was way too busy to use for any big projects, but it was PERFECT for this!

All I did was:

-cut a big rectangle
-hemmed the two longer edges
-sewed a thin elastic strip across the top to create a shirring effect (you could do 3 or 4 rows if you wanted it to look smocked)
-sewed up the side to make a tube

-cut two thick strips of fabric for the shoulder straps and tapered them in at the edges
-hemmed them
-sewed an elastic strip under what would be the inside edge of each strap to make them ruffle
-sewed the straps on

...and that was it!  Still...I thought it needed a little something extra.  So I whipped up a few crocheted flowers and attatched them with a needle and thread, and voila!
(My sweet baby boy was quite the generous little model.)  (And that's my mom-say hi mom!)
Sorry I never remember to take pictures during the sewing process, partially because it's always a spur of the moment activity and partially because I make things up as I go along.  But that's what I like about sewing!  You can just do what feels good and have fun playing around!

And that's what I encourage y'all to do! Do some freestyle creating!  And if you come up with something you want to share, go ahead and link me to it!

Have fun makin' stuff :)

P.S.  this project probably cost me less than $0.50 to make.  Say what?!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE That you used Stelly as a model :) You are freaking hilarious!! SUPER cute dress though....way to make things without a pattern Lizard, thats how I prefer to do my sewing as well...always have:) Patterns confound me :)

    love u
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to get Rowan to model it for me but he cried, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails