Custom Search

6.29.2010

My Dry Erase Board is Better Than Yours :)

So, I recently got a new job in order to help out with our finances and it's kept me pretty busy.  (Hence the time between this post and my last.)  The new job consists of going on lots of appointments, and there have been a few times when I've made the mistake of scheduling them when the hubby is supposed to be at work and no one's home to watch the babies, so I thought it might be a good idea for us to have a big dry erase board on which to lay out our schedules for the following week!

I remembered seeing this post a few months ago and I thought it was a really easy, cute idea so I tweaked it a bit to fit my personality/kitchen decor a little better.  :)

Supplies needed:

cute fabric
old nasty frame
tape

I already had the tape and the frame, so I went to Hobby Lobby to find some fabric.  I debated whether or not to get fabric with a pattern on it since I was worried about being able to read whatever was written over it but in the end I couldn't settle for the plain solid kind.  I wanted it to be more fun than that!


I brought the nasty frame up from the basement, dismantled it, and got to sanding.

As you can see, much distressing had already happened naturally :)

I couldn't find my regular style sand paper, so I used one of the replacement papers from the hubby's power sander (I have yet to break that bad boy in!)

My original plan was to sand and then paint the frame, but once I wiped off all the dust I kida liked it as it was so I decided to leave it.

I put the glass back into the frame, wrapped the fabric around the cardboard frame insert and just taped it to the back because I'm ghetto like that.

And voila!



All in all, this project cost me $4.50 to make. (Money spent on the fabric.) While I was at Hobby Lobby, I checked out their plain dry erase boards and the cheapest one (same size as the one I made) was $8.00.  So mine was way cuter and half the price!  I love DIY!

And despite how it may look in the picture, it's actually really easy to read what's written on it, so I don't regret going for the printed fabric at all.  I love it!!  I keep going into the kitchen just to look at it.  No, really!

I think this project would look nice with plain white linen or burlap, too.  The next time I make one of these, I want to get some of that glass etching solution so I can etch the days of the week onto the back of the glass.  Classy!

5 comments:

  1. Thats uber cool and cute and stuff! Well done!! And after living with you, I don't doubt that you go into the kitchen just to look at it it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could use craft paint for your days as well. I think it'll show up better than etching would with your background. And I've got some you could use if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, craft paint would be perfect for this one. I was thinking I'd use solid dark fabric for my next one so the etching would show. But I might have to take you up on your offer and use the craft paint to finish this one.

    Guess we'll have to have another craft day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that fabric you used! And that frame has some awesome character! Great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks! LOVE your blog! I have a light fixture in my car as we speak awaiting it's pottery barn transformation!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails